What is FUTSAL?
Futsal is a modified form of soccer that is played with five players per team (one of which is a goalkeeper); and it is played on a basketball size field (typically indoors).
Flying substitution is used; substitutions are unlimited. Unlike regular soccer or some other forms of indoor soccer, Futsal is played on a hard-court surface defined by lines; walls or boards are not used. Futsal is also played with a smaller ball with less bounce than a regular soccer ball.
Futsal is a self-teaching game. Players are constantly put in situations where they must pass, receive, dribble and move, while under pressure, in a confined space.
Why Play Futsal?
Futsal is a FUN fast paced sport that will hone the key qualities of a soccer player better than any other indoor format and these benefits are transferrable to the outside game. In fact, two very important soccer components are:(1) having good technique, i.e. foot-skills; and (2)developing a creative, tactical mind, or speed of play.
Per US Soccer, here are the key qualities of a player and how it relates to futsal.
- Read and understand the game and make faster decisions -improves players decision making skills with or without the ball
- Execute with optimal technical abilities - provides players with more touches on the ball and improves players ball control skills
- Take initiative and be pro-active – Players are better prepared to change positions and make decisions in a split second
- Demonstrate focus – Players are able to stay on task over time
- Take responsibility and accountability for their own development & performance
- Execute with optimal physical abilities – provides players more opportunities to develop fitness, endurance, flexibility, stronger ankles, etc.
In short, here are some key benefits of Futsal play!
- Under pressure play encourages quick and creative decision making
- Teaches tactical awareness (i.e. recognizing space, support and pressure), and promotes lots of off-the-ball movement;
- Soccer alternative, played in the off-season
- Abundance of ball touches (i.e. more opportunities to develop foot skills and improve first touch);
- Lots of fun, and high scoring!