Contact Caryn Goulet, Massachusetts Youth Soccer's Coordinator for TOPSoccer Program. Caryn's email address is email@example.com
How do I get started?
1. Identify the need in your area.
For what type of disabilities do you need to plan? Are you able to fulfill these needs?
2. Check for any restrictions placed on the facility (ies) you plan to use.
Are they equipped to handle athletes with physical disabilities?
3. Check with your soccer insurance carrier.
4. Contact established programs for information.
- US Youth Soccer
- Special Olympics
- United Cerebral Palsy
5. Contact your local school districts and universities.
6. Create a list of people who are able to assist you. Don't forget to include Ray Robinson and all of us at Massachusetts Youth Soccer!
7. Plan your advertisements.
How do I structure a TOPSoccer Program
1. The unique thing about TOPSoccer is that each program is different and is created around the needs of the participants. Additionally, TOPSoccer athletes are placed on teams according to ability, not age.
2. You determine the length of program. Usually TOPSoccer programs run for 6-8 weeks.
3. Playing rules.
Create rules to fit specific needs.
Use the US Youth Soccer Under-6, Under-8 or Under-10 guidelines
4. Usually TOPSoccer programs have very modest beginnings.
5. For those athletes not able to participate due to medical reasons, design a skills program that is rewarding, challenging and fun.
6. Your Program can take one of many shapes.
- Small-sided games (3 v 3, 4 v 4, 8 v 8, etc.)
- Full-sided games (11v11)
- Unified teams (ratio of challenged athletes to non-challenged athletes)
- Indoor programs Outdoor program
- Skills only
7. Above all... keep it simple... KEEP IT FUN!