The Massachusetts Youth Soccer Town Select League works in cooperation with its town-based member organizations to provide an opportunity for players to experience a higher level of development and competition through participation within the TSL. Players who are registered to play for their respective towns are eligible to try out for the Town Select League.
The Town Select League’s primary focus is player development, select competition, quality coaching and joy of the game. The TSL is intended to be an extension of and enhancement to town programs, not competition for them.
Participation in the 2019/20 program will be open to Mass Youth town organizations that are within the existing BAYS, Essex, Middlesex, MAYS and Nashoba Valley league areas.
Player Eligibility and Team Formation
- Players are eligible to tryout for the Town Select League if they: 1.) Are registered and play for their town team, 2.) Attend at least 1 tryout, 3.) Are not rostered on a club team that plays in an independent league.
- All players meeting age and participation criteria are invited to tryout, regardless of level of current town team assignment. Not every player makes a team.
- The TSL will use USSF calendar year age group designations. For the 2019/2020 soccer year players born in 2011 & 2010 will be 10U eligible; players born in 2009 will be 11U eligible; players born in 2008 12U eligible players born in 2007 will be 13U eligible; players born in 2006 will be 14U eligible and players born in 2005 will be 15U eligible.
- Tryouts take place in June and will be conducted by both the Massachusetts Technical Staff and the TSL Coaching staff.
- The match schedule will consist of 4 stand alone Sunday matches with the season concluding jamboree of 2 games per team in the Fall and Spring.
- Teams will practice once per week to minimize disruption of town team practices.
- Players will have the option to participate in our TSL Winter Indoor training program with other TSL players under the guidance of Mass Youth Soccer. The Winter Indoor Training will entail a separate registration and nominal additional fee.
- All Town Select League expenses will be covered by player fees including administrative expenses and referee fees
- The total per player fee for fall/spring training and play will be $700
- Program fees will include up to 7-8 weeks of coaching each season (fall/spring), one practice per week; 6 Sunday matches and player uniforms.
- Financial Aid is available and an FA application must be submitted prior to the start of the Fall season.
- Winter Indoor Training will be a separate nominal fee.
- Final selection of coaches will be by the DOC and Mass Youth Soccer Technical Department.
- Recommendation/endorsement by Towns are highly encouraged.
- Experience – Minimum of 3 years coaching town soccer D1 or D2 teams at U12 or older
- Licenses/Diplomas – Minimum requirement is the completion of the US Soccer Federation Grassroots 7 v 7, 9 v 9 or 11 v 11 OR a National D License.
- Mass Youth Soccer Requirements – Accomplishing and maintaining all Mass Youth Soccer coaching educational and training requirements on an annual basis.
- Professionalism – Must be in good standing with all Mass Youth Soccer affiliated organizations (towns, clubs, leagues). This includes no sanctions based on disciplinary actions or persistent history of complaints.