In order to make practices run smoothly and be fun, it is important to have a basic understanding of the intellectual, emotional, and physical developmental stage of the players we are coaching. Here are some typical characteristerics of the Under 10 player:
• Attention span lengthens and they start to show the ability to sequence thoughts and actions.
• They start to think ahead and think “If this, then that”
• More inclined towards wanting to play soccer rather than being told to play
• Demonstrate increased self-responsibility
• They start to recognize fundamental tactical concepts
• Begin to become aware of peer pressure.
• Players affiliate with their team or their coach
• There is a wide continuum of maturity evident on most teams.
• This is still a crucial age for technical skill development.
Mass Youth Soccer uses ASC Session Template
software to develop our coaching curriculums. ASC
is used by coaches at every level of the game, and
it has become an essential resource for players,
coaches, and others who work in soccer education!
Below are 10 Practice Plans designed specifically for the U10 player: