8U (1st/2nd Grade) Grassroots Session Plans Fall 2018
Click here to download all Fall 2018 U8 session plans as a single PDF File
8U (1st/2nd Grade) Grassroots Session Plans Spring 2018
8U (1st/2nd Grade) Grassroots Session Plans Fall 2017
Click here to read Ian Mulliner's article on our New Session Plans
Please use the Document search below to download our U8 plans from previous years.
Please note, all Massachusetts Youth Soccer session plans are provided in good faith and must not be utilized for assignments for US Soccer or NSCAA coach education courses. We welcome coaches and organizations to share, use and build upon all Mass Youth Soccer Session plans as long as appropriate credit is given.
In order to make practices run smoothly and be fun, it is important to have a basic understanding of the intellectual, emotional, and physical developmental stage of the players we are coaching. Here are some typical characteristics of the Under 8 player:
- Enjoy playing in pairs
- Are now able to take another’s perspective.
- Still unable to think abstractly – be patient.
- Cooling system still less efficient than adults – still make sure to give frequent water breaks.
- Still prefer playing to watching – keep everyone active during practice.
- Limited attention span
- Have an understanding of time and sequence – “if I do this, then that happens”.
- Some now have a third or fourth speed in addition to stopped and as fast as possible.
- Very aware of adult reactions – be very aware of your reactions.
- Seek out adult approval and need reassurance – be supportive.
- Begin to become aware of peer perception – a social order is beginning to develop.
- Wide range of abilities between children at this age
- Beginning to develop motor memories
- Some become more competitive
- Less active imaginations than U6 players