Dual / Multiple Rostering Policy
POLICY ON THE DUAL / MULITIPLE ROSTERING OF PLAYERS
Massachusetts Youth Soccer permits certain players to play for more than one team during a given season. The specifics of the Multiple Rostering rules are found in Section 4.02 of Massachusetts Youth Soccer's Policies, Procedures & Regulations.
The following serves as a guideline to the multiple rostering policy:
1. The player must be under the age of 14. Multiple rostering is not permitted for players 14 or older. However, a player who is under the age of 14 may play on an older team without violating this part of the rule.
2. The player cannot play on more than one team in the same competition. For example, it is acceptable to play on a team that is competing for State Cup and another team that is competing for MTOC. It is not acceptable to play on two teams that are competing for State Cup, even if they are in different age groups.
3. The player can only compete on one team that is in a US Youth Soccer competition (State Cup, for example). In general, this prevents a player from playing on two teams in different states.
4. A player may be placed on a tournament roster, playing for a different team for the purposes only of competing in a specific in-state or out-of-state tournament. This is not considered multiple rostering.
For more insight into the policy, please read Section 4.02 from our Policies and Procedures below:
Section 4.02: Multiple Rostering
Multiple rostering permits a player to play for more than one team during the same playing season, only as provided in this section.
A player may be rostered to not more than two (2) Mass Youth Soccer affiliated teams during a playing season if the player is age appropriate to play U 14 and younger.
A player may not be rostered to more than one team during a playing season if the player is age appropriate to play U 15 and older with the following exceptions:
1. A player on a team playing on a league team in any Mass Youth Soccer sanctioned league whose league team does not enter National Championship Series play (i.e., State Cup) may be rostered to another team for National Championship Series play only.
2. A player may be placed on a state roster called a “TOURNAMENT TEAM ONLY ROSTER” without the need for multiple rostering. A TOURNAMENT TEAM exists only for the duration of a tournament and is NOT the player’s primary team. For purposes of this rule, MTOC is a competition, not a tournament.
The following rules shall apply to all players, irrespective of age:
1. A player can play on only one team entered in National Championship Series play in a soccer year, regardless of the state in which that competition is played.
2. Within the entirety of the MTOC eligible affiliated Leagues, a player can play on only one team during a playing season. A player may not play in two separate MTOC eligible affiliated Leagues at the same time, in the same season.
3. A player may play on only one (1) team in a competition